People who feel that they have difficulty hearing should visit the ENT specialist Lahore. The specialist will help the person understand the severity of the condition, cause and conduct tests to confirm before providing treatment. It will allow the person to function adequately.
What is sensorineural hearing loss?
The damage to hair cells in the inner ear causes the person to suffer from hearing loss. The person gradually notices a change in their hearing ability. People with family members diagnosed with the condition are at a higher risk of suffering from hearing loss. However, the treatment can help the person manage the symptoms. The symptoms that correlate with the sensorineural hearing loss include:
- The person struggles in understanding what they are saying if there is background noise.
- The person suffers from tinnitus.
- Children suffering from the condition have a speech delay and are unable to communicate effectively with others.
- The person watches TV programs at high volume.
What causes correlate with sensorineural hearing loss?
The causes that correlate with the condition include:
- The person may suffer from hearing loss due to a lack of oxygen during birth.
- Family history increases the likelihood of suffering from hearing loss.
- People may suffer from hearing loss as they get older.
- People diagnosed with measles, meningitis, and mumps are more likely to suffer from hearing loss as a side effect.
- Individuals suffering from acoustic trauma are more likely to suffer from the condition.
- People diagnosed with acoustic neuroma are more likely to suffer from hearing loss as a complication of the tumor.
- People exposed to loud noises/music for a prolonged time are more likely to suffer from hearing loss.
- Individuals consuming medications for cancer therapy and tuberculosis are at a higher risk of suffering from hearing loss as a side-effect of the treatment.
How can a person minimize the probability of hearing loss?
The precautionary measures include:
- People diagnosed with infection should take proper treatment on time to avoid complications.
- People should not listen to music at high volume to avoid damage to the inner ear.
- People should avoid using earphones for more than sixty minutes at high volume.
What complications are associated with sensorineural hearing loss?
People diagnosed with the condition should understand the cause and take treatment accordingly. If the condition is left untreated for a longer time, it may lead to permanent hearing loss.
What tests help diagnose the condition?
The tests that assist in diagnosing the condition include:
- The specialist will perform a thorough ear examination to check if there is visible damage to the eardrum or the wax buildup that is causing the person to suffer from the symptoms.
- The otoscope exam helps detect infection in the external auditory ear, which may correlate with the condition.
- The tympanometry test helps analyze the functioning of the middle ear to evaluate the severity of the condition.
- The weber test helps check if there is unilateral hearing loss.
- The imaging tests help identify the abnormalities in the ear that may have led to hearing loss.
- The Rinne test utilizes a tuning fork. The tests help detect if the person is suffering hearing loss from one ear or both.
The person diagnosed with sensorineural hearing loss should consult the ENT specialist in Islamabad. The specialist will conduct the various tests to confirm that the person is suffering from hearing loss and help the patient understand the complications and ways to prevent permanent hearing loss.